UP Art Studio and North Houston District are seeking experienced mural artists for Houston’s first commissioned augmented reality mural!
The mural, which is planned to kick off an ongoing public art program, will be installed May 12-30, 2021 at a neighborhood library in North Houston District. Goals for the program and project include:
- Advance the District’s appeal as a safe, accessible, and green place to live, work, and visit
- Beautify and elevate the District, with high-quality public art installations
- Enhance the District’s image as a “people place” and fight blight
- Build positive neighborhood identity and pride
- Contribute vibrancy to a Livable Center for housing, jobs, mobility, and recreation
- Bring joy to people’s daily lives
- Contribute to a sense of safety and security
Priority consideration will be given to artists who live or work in the North Houston District or Greater Houston. Applications must document at least three commissioned mural projects of a similar scale and budget completed within the past five years.
The artist fee includes $5,000 – $10,000 for time and materials (final scale of mural will affect fee).
3 semi-finalists will be selected based on the qualifications in their application. Each finalist will receive a $500 fee to develop and submit their conceptual renderings. The final artist will be selected based on their conceptual rendering for the mural.
Selection criteria for the renderings include:
- Quality of artwork (rigorous, original, dynamic, engaging)
- Impact and artistic excellence
- Imagery that is welcoming and accessible to library visitors
- Additional criteria and information may be provided to the semi-finalists.
Applicants must submit all materials digitally via the application portal. The application, including all required attachments, must be submitted by 11:59 p.m., CST, April 9, 2021.
For detailed information about this project and instructions for submitting an application, please review the Request for Qualifications (RFQ) in the application portal. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. No phone calls, please.